Packaging Systems for the Dairy Industry
- Dairy products belong to a growing product group in global food consumption. Liquid dairy products are forecasted to grow by 30% between the years 2010 and 2020 to reach 350 billion litres;
- Global plant-based food and beverage alternatives market was USD 42.1 bn in 2019 and is anticipated to be USD 80.4 bn in 2024, with a projected CAGR of 13.8% (BIS Research);
- Significant growth in vegan diets;
- Global leader Danone plans to triple worldwide plant-based sales from €1.7 bn to around €5 bn by 2025.
Packaging Technology that can keep up with Market Trends
This market is seeing greater penetration of healthier ingredients (‘light’, cultures, nutrition, organic, lactose free, etc.) and the use of plant-based ingredients is also on the rise. In all cases convenient, single serve and shelf ready packaging is a primary target, with resealable packaging and pouches gaining wider acceptance.
In addition to a massive array of product variety, consumers are demanding lighter more environmentally friendly packaging.
The industry is heavily dependent on the perception of quality and healthy ingredients and a complete trust in a brand and its persona. As a result, product and brand differentiation are coupled to price points and face continual innovation in both product and packaging formats
- New packaging styles are being developed to increase shelf life for greater export potential;
- Single-material packaging concepts are also appearing, where the tub, lid and secondary packaging all comprise the same recyclable materials;
- Large format variance (small/consumer vs. large/commercial) requires flexible and scalable packaging designs;
- Resealable packaging and pouches are experiencing significant growth.
With greater product variation, packaging styles and packaging arrays, dairy brand owners must have the confidence that their packaging technology can keep pace with market trends.
Cama’s secondary packaging machines deliver incredible levels of flexibility, not just in terms of their ability to handle a wide array of product and package type, but also in terms of size, mixed flavour bundles and promotional variation.
Cama’s solutions cater for a mixture of high speed/mass production and small volume/artisanal, often within same plant and can handle cartons, pouches, boxes, flow packs, tubs, trays and tins, as well as mixed-flavour packaging, varying product counts, promotional packs and multi-vendor/multi-brand production.
In addition to addressing regulatory compliance, including washdown, contamination, voids & trap points, Cama’s advanced technology also delivers connectivity to enterprise systems for batch data capture, ERP and remote maintenance.